Ideas and suggestions for Baml Localizer

Coordinator
Apr 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM
Hi, please give me some feedback on Baml Localizer, so I can develop it in a direction that meets the needs of more people than me alone, Reinhard.
Jul 17, 2010 at 5:21 AM

Hi Reinhard,

I'm writing to say that Baml Localizer is already extremely useful. I didn't really expect much when I downloaded this first release, tagged as version 0.1 and marked as unstable.

But I was able to localize a VS2010 WPF project using this tool and complared to standard LocBaml there are some really important advantaged. Unlike with LocBaml, existing translations are preserved and the translation editor at least offers some comfort for working with the texts. I might not yet fully understand the concept, but I'm quite sure I'll continue working with you tool and I'll probably write suggestions etc. later here.

Thanks and please keep up the good work!

Karsten

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2010 at 7:25 AM

That's nice to hear,

by the way:
My future plans are to 'convert' the project into a VS2010 plugin.
That would mean that it's not usable for VS2008 and not for Express editions anymore.
Would this be a major drawback for anyone?
Tha advantage would be an even better integration into VS2010, and no need for an external tool anymore.

Reinhard.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:38 PM
Edited Jul 21, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Hi Reinhard,

to be honest, I personally rather dislike plugins in VS. I appreciate having a plain executable that I just manually added to the Tools menu. It would be nice if I can open the C# project by setting a command line parameter placeholder, so that the project get opened automatically when I select it from my VS tools menu.

Why I don't want to have a plugin? 1. I don't want any extra stability risk for VS. 2. I often use C# Express 2010 and this wouldn't allow the plugin anyway. 3. This kind of tool seems not to need a close integration in VS.

Rather it would be good to have some improvements done to the text editor. E.g. fix the filters (seems not to work always) and maybe a function that allows to set a group of items to Need-No-Translation, depending of the element type.

Makes sense?

Karsten

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Karsten,

it's not 100% true that no integration into VS is needed.
Before compiling, there should be at least a check if all UID's are set.
After compiling, the satelite assemblies needs to be generated as well. ELse there might be unexpected behaviour/appearance of the UI.

Currently this is done by pre and post build steps, which gets automatically added to the project by my tool.
May be I can find an easy way to maintain an plugin and a standalone tool.

About the editor:
The filter issues are known to me. Sometimes you need to clear the filter and set it again to work correctly. This seems to be some WPF issue.
Comfort functions will be added over time by it's needs.

There is also an standalone editor planed, so external people (or at least non developers) can do translations as well without any knowledge about the VS project.

Then there will be an auto translation feature, where everyone can implement it's own providers. So you could write a provider for Babelfish online translation (if that is possible) or anything you like.

But my time to work on this is limited, and the missing feature list is long.
To be honest, I havn't used it by my self so far. But soon I will need it.

p.s.
Please be aware that I have to change the way how additional properties are stored in the project file. But I will add an automatic conversion feature.

Reinhard.

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Hi Reinhard,

all what you wrote makes sense to me. I agree that it could be favourable having both the plugin and a standalone option.

Over the coming weeks/months, I'll have the oppertunity (and pleasure:-) using this tool. I'll post more feedback then here and in case I'll try to make any changes I'll also post it as suggestions to this list.

Best wishes,

Karsten

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2010 at 6:58 AM

That would be grat ;)